HW: Hawkeye #5 report

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Tue Apr 16 14:43:34 EDT 1996

       Many thanks to Jill for helping me get ahold of the new Hawkeye #5,
       and also Adrian's latest giglist book.

       Just looking over Hawkeye #5, and Adrian Parr has some new
       Hawk-rumors that I just had to spread:  :-)

       - the Pentrich Custom Bike Show 1995 was videotaped, and includes
       about 10min of Hawkwind playing 'Assassins of Allah/Space is their
       Pal", with a short interview.

       - HW is to play a festival in Germany in July.

       - Two live HW shows from 1974 (possibly Chicago and Detroit ?) were
       recorded, as was the Edmonton Sundown, London Jan/74 show.  Also
       recorded was an 'Astounding Sounds..' show from the Summer 1976
       tour.  Apparently this _is_ news, because Adrian is hinting that
       some of these may actually be released on the EBS label.  <rumor?>

       - Nik is still touring with the Fantastic All-Stars jazz band.

       - The 'Hawk Fairies: Purple Haze Live' CD just out is from another
       Nik/Twink live show.  It was recorded at the Purple Haze Club,
       Peterborough on 4/15/95.  Supposedly this CD is better than the
       'Festival of the Sun' Pinkwind CD, which many here have knocked for
       it's poor sound quality.

       - A new CD by Harvey Bainbridge is due out this June.  (Will this
       be the 'Eyebrow Razor' promised last year?)

       - I.C.U. will have another release out in April.  Possibly called
       'Now You Know the Score'?

       - Moorcock is discussing an 'Elric' film with Hollywood.

       - HuwyLL toured Sweden last Feb 1995 (Hawk-swedes, where are you?).
       He is supposed to return to Sweden this September.  Huw has also
       just signed a 3-record deal, with the first one (another "LLG") due
       out this summer.

       - Huw has also been working with the bands 'Sastun' and 'Overnight
       Angels', who will both be releasing the recordings at some point.

       - Adrian has been getting together with Trevor Hughes of Hawkfrendz
       fame.  They are discussing some joint project (my freudian slip?).
       Apparently Trevor is trying to get back into producing HW-fanzines,
       similar to the massive selection that he put out right after Bob
       Calvert died.

       - The central section of the new Hawkeye #5 is a variation of our
       old friend the Hawkwind Codex.  Apparently Adrian has sat down and
       listed the first appearance of every version of each HW song,
       organized chronologically.  He includes LPs, singles, boots, and
       Wierd tapes, but not videos.

       This is just the small stuff that was news to me.  Of course, there
       is always more in a fanzine than I describe -- there has to be a
       reason to buy these things, ya know!

       For those interested parties (and since I left out Brian Tawn's
       address from the last fanzine post I made):

          Adrian Parr
          6 Conifers Close
          Teddington
          Middlesex, TW11 9JG
          England, UK

       Perhaps it is because we are in America, and so much further away
       from the central HW source, but the UK fanzines have consistently
       carried more specific news on HW than the USA fanzines that I have
       seen so far.  I continue to feel justified for the trouble you have
       to go thru to get copies of UK paper items on Hawkwind.

       This does not in any way mean that I am knocking the USA fanzines
       (I'm still singing from the drubbing I got about my comments on Bob
       Lennon's _last_ fanzine), it's just an expression of of my opinion.
       OTOH, the US fanzines are still good places to get information,
       particularly if you don't have a source as valuable as BOC-L.
       Usually we hear it here first anyway.

       Support those fanzines!  (USA, UK, and everybody else!)

       Captain Cloud
       cjohnson at sur1a.hpsc.hisd.harris.com

       ObLaugh:  "Treewind", "Boobwind", "Ozwind" <--corriolis effect :-)
       Thanks Keith!

       ObProperOrderOfTheUniverse:  advert for Aerosmith opening for
       Hawkwind in 1974 (pg 4 of Hawkeye #5).