NIK: Past or Future?

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Tue Apr 16 17:36:30 EDT 1996

>As you know, I've been quite harsh about most of Turner's recent output, but
>I really quite like this one!  It's a lot more "together" than _SR94_, it
>seems a lot more comfortable with itself, and Simon House's presence adds
>such *class* (especially on "High Rise").  It's a more interesting selection
>of material, too, with stuff like "Lord of the Hornets" (instead of the 99th
>version of "Master of the Universe").  And it doesn't try to be what it's
>not.
>
>Also, Turner hands over the vocals on a couple of tracks so his voice doesn't
>wear out, and being a single CD it doesn't overstay its welcome.  About the
>only black mark is for the Moorcock vocal, which is a bit cringe-making (but
>still miles better than Genesis P-Orridge on _SR94_).
>
>And to think I only bought it for the cover... :)

I agree in the context of it being just the right length. I like the harder
edge sound on most of SR94, but I think I would have edited this down to a
single cd and thereby improve it.
The Sonic Attack on SR94 is absolutely BORING. It is way too lomg and slow.
And the Armour for Everyday bit is like listening to fingernails on a chalk
board.

Duane

OBCD: Yngwie Malmsteen - Seventh Sign
      ( you gotta hear Pyramid of Cheops, it sounds like Metallica )

--
"There's a Starman waiting in the sky,
 he'd like to come and meet us,