OFF: insurance for CDs and/or tapes ?

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Wed Apr 17 13:38:37 EDT 1996

> > In Britain, and I suspect the same is true for the USA (and most
> > everywhere), it pays to check your policy carefully to see what is and
> > what is not covered.  The home contents policy I had in Britain
> > specifically did *not* cover music collections (and I never saw a policy
> > that did as standard).
> >
> Correct.  You need a specific rider on the policy, which will bump up
> the cost of the premiums, I'm afraid.

My policy with State Farm specifically covers my music collection as
part of my normal homeowner policy.  I have a replacement-cost policy,
so they will pay me for what the collection is currently worth, not
what I paid for it.  When I got my policy, my insurance agent went
over with me how much I had in records, CDs, etc., and my estimate of
their current value.  I keep a list of all these things on my computer
at home, with a backup copy at work.

This, of course, doesn't mean we'll see eye to eye on the replacement
cost if something should happen, but I explained the rarity of part of
my collection to my agent when I got the policy.  I don't remember the
exact numbers, but we estimated the replacement cost of the albums at
about US$10 each, and the CDs at about US$15 each.  As an average over
my whole collection, these are probably pretty accurate.

YMMV.

Frank