BRAIN: Review of *Trepanation*

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Wed Apr 17 16:30:41 EDT 1996

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> > Most of the latter examples are due to Frost's truly unique voice and
> unbelievable >range.  She moves from metal goddess to no-nonsense
> blues/rocker to flat-out >punk wailer. her vocals propel otherwise average
> tunes to new heights.
>
> I alluded to much the same after seeing them last December.   Comparing the
> CD to the gig, I'd say that live is where Deb can really strut her stuff.
>  Plus there is an interplay with Al that is far less noticeable on record,
> but really great live.

Repeat that louder for the people in the balcony seats, please.  My
only complaint re: both albums is that Deb's vocal performances on
record get re-worked until they're perfect.  Perfectly overdone, that
is.  In concert, where she only gets one chance, she always does it
right the first time.  Her natural singing voice (which she uses in
concert, where she only gets one chance to do it) sounds much better
than any crooning affectations you hear when she tries for that
"perfect take".

Fortunately, the albums seem to be heading in the direction of sounding
more "live".

> >as long as Frost is singing, I'm listening.
>
> If you get the chance, LIVE is the way to listen to them at their best.

Hear hear!

I dunno how Al and Deb judge these things, but I'd say that 3 studio
albums is about the right number before a live one, eh?  ;-)  I mean,
they already have enough good concert material that every show has
to leave a lot of great tunes out for lack of time...

And to top it off, I personally think that it's about high time to
drop the BOC tunes that they finish every show with.  They're pushing
out Brain Surgeons tunes that I'd rather hear than *another* "Red and
the Black".

Steve
veteran of 1000 tBS concerts
(ok, so it's more like 6) :-)