OFF: Neu! 2

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Wed Apr 17 22:06:09 EDT 1996

On 15-APR-1996 12:13:15.8 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >>From: HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
   >>already bought it (Neu! 2). I've bought a lot of records, but
   >>this is a first. The first side plays just fine, no troubles.
   >>Side 2 is another story. Now this is a regular 33 1/3 record.
   >>And yet there is "Neuschnee 78", "Super 16" and "Super 78". The
   >>"78"s play at hyper-speed and my phonograph does not have a 78
   >>setting. "Super 16" is extremely slow. This is all on the
   >>regular 33 speed. From what I can gather from the German liner
   >>notes (though it's a British release), these are single
   >>versions of these songs. But why put them on a 33 record?? I'm
   >>totally confused. And then there's "Cassetto" and "Hallo
   >>Excentrico" that also play at wrong speeds, but are not
   >>labelled such. I'm really disappointed, as this sounds like a
   >>good album otherwise.
   >It is my understanding that Neu ran out of either time or budget after
   >completing the first side of the album.  So they filled out the second
   >side by playing songs from the first side back at different speeds;
   >i.e.; "Neuschnee 78" does not mean it is meant to be played at 78 rpm,
   >rather it is "Neuschnee" (from the first side) played back at 78 rpm.
   >If you did play it at 78 rpm it might well sound like the song on the
   >first side.  (I haven't tried it and there may well be some other
   >factors involved.)
   >Fortunately, they only resorted to this gimmick on _Neu 2_.
   >John McIntyre

I see. Okay, I feel much less confused now; thanks to you, Andy and Wylie.
Except that the songs played at reg. speeds are on side two, also, with the
sped up/slowed down versions.
I think maybe they should have just released an EP/mini-album. Weird.

Chuck
`[1;33;42mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive