BRAIN: Review of *Trepanation*

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Thu Apr 18 11:48:49 EDT 1996

Carl E. Anderson writes:

> > And to top it off, I personally think that it's about high time to
> > drop the BOC tunes that they finish every show with.  They're pushing
> > out Brain Surgeons tunes that I'd rather hear than *another* "Red and
> > the Black".
>
>         I've obviously missed the beginning of this thread--it will
> undoubtedly show up in my mailbox in a month (as seems to happen randomly
> with boc-l posts on occasion).

Oh, I dunno.  I ranged pretty far afield in that post, it really didn't
have any lead-in.  :-)

>         I'd concur, though I expect the BOC material is still a good hook
> for people going to the shows who are less familiar with tBS than the fans
> on this list perforce are.

Well, if you haven't hooked them by the final song of the set, you're
not going to get them by playing a tune that maybe they heard on the
radio once, ten years ago.  This is a young crowd - they don't know
Blue Oyster Cult from a hole in the ground.  They *might*, if they
haven't had too much to drink by then, recognise "Cities On Flame".

Frankly, I think tBS would be better off closing with "Date With My
Guitar".  I'd suggest "Time Will" but I think Deb's vocal chords might
be a little too shredded by the end of the set for that kind of
finish.  "Monster" makes far too good an opener to move it from
that spot, and "Medusa" makes too good a dramatic high point
in the middle of the show to steal it from there.

>         I too, could live without "TR&TB" as often, though there are some
> BOC songs that are still definately worth tBS outing too--I'd love to hear
> some versions of the Imaginos material, which are very strong songs that
> are getting foolishly ignored by BOC.  [...]

I'm not sure what you mean by it being foolishly ignored by BOC.
Isn't that like saying that Hawkwind are foolishly ignoring the
material on _Bomber_ and _Ace of Spades_?

>         But "TR&TB", fine song though it is, won't touch my well-known
> favorite ;) "Time Is Gonna Take Care of You" (or whatever the official
> title is).  Plus, 3OC plays it a lot and I'd be much happier hearing
> tBS cover "lost" BOC material (like "Death Valley Nights" etc., as well
> as unreleased tracks).

I have to say, I've heard the re-worked "Death Valley Nights", and I'm
afraid that it's in the same category as the reworked "Astronomy".
Personally I don't think either of those songs was really crying out
to be "rocked up".

However, there are tons of old BOC songs that I would love to hear.  I
think a tBS "Dominance and Submission" would be a riot.  I'd love to
hear them do "Celestial the Queen".  "Fireworks".  "Wings Wetted
Down".  "7 Screaming Diz-Busters".  "Quicklime Girl".  The most holy
(i.e. original) "Astronomy".  :-)

You know what?  I just realised what tBS need.  A piano/keys player.

>         I await the new album for a riff-pounder that will displace
> "Time" as my gut-level favorite :)  Complete with patented Frost
> Howls O' Chaos:  ("Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmme is gona take care of
> Yooooooooouuuuuuuuuu!  [snarl snarl] :)

Heard that one live yet?  The clubs lose money every time tBS play it,
because it loosens the floorboards, and peels the paint off the walls.

Steve