Reaper Lyrics

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Fri Apr 19 08:17:30 EDT 1996

> Guess I gotta jump in here,
>
> 'Reaper' is specifically about two concepts:
>
> 1) A powerful enough romantic LOVE can transcend physical death and endure in
> the hereafter.
> 2) Death is inevitable whenever it happens to us, and we should know that and
> face it without fearing it, having some confidence in the universality of the
> human spirit, but having no proof until we actually die.

< interesting comments snipped >

> (Third Verse) The idea here is that a critical mass of emotional and mental
> intensity is necessary to create this event. What if the remaining partner
> just can't stand being alone? What if by dint of sheer will lovers can
> reunite again after death? In my vision, the 'permission' of the event has to
> come from the 'other' side, the afterlife. The event transpires when there is
> enought faith and belief to make it happen. Not really so different than any
> other afterlife belief system.

Gee, all you need is a potter's wheel, and you seem to have "Ghost" :-)

> Buck Dharma

What I'd like to know is what transpired in the intervening period between
writing this and (partially) writing _Shooting Shark_, which to my mind
conveys in part the antithesis of this idea, i.e. a kind of pervasive yet
insidious burden of an unending relationship.
Or maybe I just read the lyrics in the wrong light. Just what the hell is a
shooting shark anyway ?

Tim

ObCD:  _'Heat' Original Soundtrack_   mainly for the superb "God Moving Over
the Face of the Waters" by Moby