Found on the Web 2

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Sat Apr 20 16:04:07 EDT 1996

eye WEEKLY                                               March 30 1995
Toronto's arts newspaper                      .....free every Thursday
LIVE EYE                                                      LIVE EYE
                          HAWKWIND
                   with Change Of Heart.
                     Tuesday, April 4.
      The Phoenix Concert Theatre, 410 Sherbourne St.
     $10 from Ticketmaster, 870-8000. $12 at the door.

            SPIRIT OF THE AGE-LESS

                            by
                  CHRIS TWOMEY

A quarter century on from
Hawkwind's 1969 origins, their
"space-rock" institution has
survived the death of the hippie
and the centre-parted '70s. Next
Tuesday (April 4), "hawk fans"
will be celebrating the band's
anniversary during their "Spirit
Of The Age Tour" show at the
Phoenix.

Most of Hawkwind's '70s
contemporaries radiated their
brand of synthesized trance-rock
and faded away. Now a new
generation of bands like Ozric
Tentacles and Astralasia have
linked the outlaw free festival
scene of Hawkwind's day with
modern rave culture.

Dave Brock, the group's
50-something founder, likes the
new bands and has even released
trance-techno remixes of
Hawkwind classics by Astralasia
and Salt Tank on the band's new
Emergency Broadcast System
label.

"It's hard to say what's new
anymore," he says from
rehearsals in England. "The
funny thing was that my
daughter's boyfriend was
looking at my records and saying
how modern groups like Can and
Neu sound. He even found the
Kraftwerk album I wrote some
sleeve notes for, which I had forgotten about!"

What Hawkwind shared with their fellow Europeans was the drone pulse of
chant and the trance-inducing energy of repetitive rhythms. This non-Western
approach was the real psychedelic revolution to come out of the verse/chorus
pop forms of rock 'n' roll.

"I do like repetitious things myself," says Brock. "I find when I'm practicing my
guitar and playing with sequencers it's quite pleasurable going off in tangents."

Hawkwind's version of trance-rock was dubbed "space rock" after their 1971
album In Search Of Space and 1973's Space Ritual Alive. The group's science-
fiction-inspired stage shows may have been hated by snobs like Chris Cutler
(who favored the French band Magma) but found a loyal audience who continue
to buy up the many (approved and unapproved) group and solo releases. Record
Collector magazine ranks Hawkwind as No. 32 in the international collectors
market.

Unfortunately, the group only profits from their current releases on EBS and
Griffin in the U.S. "Our history is a terrible story of piracy really. You know
what the business is like, full of sharks!"

Out now from EBS/Griffin/Cargo is a live album, Undisclosed Files
Addendum, an ambient project called White Zone (as the Psychedelic Warriors)
and an album from reggae artist Capt. Rizz. Soon will be the release of a Dave
Brock solo album, more dance remixes, the legendary Weird tapes and a project
from former Hawkwind violinist Simon House.

Hawkwind's 25th anniversary will climax in August with a special event near a
British castle with former membersd's Lemmy and writer
Michael Moorcock.

From:  http://www.interlog.com/eye/Arts/Music/Reviews/Live/1995/lv0330b.htm
- includes a picture of "The eternally stylish Dave Brock"

Martyn