NIK: Past or Future?

Le Monsieur Damon dcapehar at UTDALLAS.EDU
Sat Apr 20 16:52:56 EDT 1996

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996 HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM wrote:
> On 19-APR-1996 15:25:46.4 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
> >Grenas sings High Rise, while the bass player (forgot his name, sorry)
> >sings Audio Energy... at least that's how they did it in Dallas.
> Nope, it's Grenas on both. Sounds like the same guy...and he's the only one
> other than Nik credited w/lead vocals (not that credits can't be wrong, of
> course, but...).
Like I said, in Dallas it was one each, but it may have changed later on
in the tour.

> Went to Best Buy today and almost bought a Pressurehed CD. Can't recall the
> title now, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here. Release about '93 or
> '94.
_Sudden_Vertigo_.

> What is this band's stuff like? I was very tempted to buy it...I like
> their sound on Nik's stuff...but I think I read somewhere that they are more
> industrial...and I usually don't go that way.

They are more intustrial, but the guys at Cleopatra like to call them
"the first crossover between industrial and psychedelic", whatever that
means.  Apparently it's one way of saying that I like it.

If the word "industrial" conjures up bands like Ministry, NIN, etc.,
that's the wrong impression and not much of a comparison.  While
Pressurehed do have industrial elements (plenny o' synths and electronic
drumming... their first album doesn't have a real "drummer", purr-say),
the music simply isn't as much torture for the ears as, say, most of the
songs on _Broken_ by NIN.  BTW, in case you didn't know before, I *HATE*
industrial bands such as Ministry and NIN (at least the NIN songs that
lend themselves to that categorization).

This is an incomplete view of the music of Pressurehed, though, so
opinions other than mine ought to be posted as well.

Damon Capehart          | "Snot is running down his nose!"
dcapehar at utdallas.edu   |   - Ian Anderson, Jethro Tull