HW : Sonic Attack LP

Gordon drgoon at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Mon Apr 22 09:17:27 EDT 1996

> I'm surprised to hear of another one

Be prepared for a shock - I had one briefly... :) It happened
like this - SA was one of my first bits of vinyl, since I
didn't start buying heavily until I got my first stereo. I was
at boarding school, and it just so happened that there was a
cool geography teacher with odd (Krautrock & prog) music
tastes and a great hifi who was new enough to volunteer to be
a master in the boarding house for cheap rent. I discovered HW
through his record collection, as it happens. So, having
bought SA over the hols, I was taking it to boarding school,
so that I could deposit it in his room, where I'd get a chance
to listen to it occasionally (and where it would find its way
into his tape collection). I had it in a bag, along with an
early Scorpions release, and a live Grobschnitt album, propped
up next to my rucksack. My mother came into my room in the
morning, and as it was cold, turned on my fan heater...
pointing right at the albums in the bag...

So, no use playing SA - it acted as a decent enough heat
shield for the other albums though, but it did have some
impressive ripples. My mother went out, and found SA in a
record shop and bought it as a replacement... only it had two
Side 1's (though there were A&B side labels). Well, I wasn't a
collector in those days - I had little money, and needed my
tunes. I took it to HMV in Glasgow and persuaded them to swap
it the following week... oops. :)

Gordon.