Reaper Lyrics

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Mon Apr 22 10:46:25 EDT 1996

>Donald did not write the lyrics of "Shooting Shark," Patti Smith did, and it
>was hardly an example of her best work.

The point about contrasting not contrasting the two is good, but as a piece
on its own I thougth shooting shark was alright.  Perhaps not a good example
of a "Patti Smith" piece in the sense that there is a certain things you'd
expect
based on her other ("best") work, perhaps.   Might she have
been influenced by the fact she knew she was writing it for him, and written
accordingly?   It is certainly way different than the earlier stuff she did for
BOC (BID, COE, etc.), or stuff like R-n-RN, (stuff that just radiates
controversy,
and might make you expect it from her).  At any rate, it would seem odd to see
such a theme used with the light mood of the tone in the music of SS, but then
again, I'd think the same thing about DFTR if I were to  have heard it sans
lyrics
before hearing the full version....
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)