BOC: Gigs in M.E.262land (was: Dino-tours)

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Apr 23 10:59:36 EDT 1996

> >> Unfortunately BOC was never a real blockbuster here in Krautrockland (can
> >> you guess how warmly the people appreciate hymns given to them like M.E.
> >> 262?) -
> >
> >Does/Did BOC do ME-262 live there?  Or did they skip this on those
> >occasions?

I don't see what the problem would be in playing ME 262.  It shows
the german pilots as heroic, outnumbered soldiers simply doing their
duty.  It mentions nothing of politics other than the mention of
Hitler and Goering[sp?] who were, in addition to 'party' leaders,
also leaders of state and war policy.  That is, other than the veiled
political references to Desdinova, Plutonia etc.  The only way it
would give offense would be to those who would like to deny that WWII
even existed, etc.  Or perhaps the way the song revels in warfare
imagery without showing any consideration for the negative?  The
almost matter-of-fact references to burning planes, bombing cities,
etc., but that kind of nonchalance could hardly be ascribed only to
Germans.  Then again, I don't think we Americans can really grasp the
sensitivity Germans might have in being perceived as warlike, etc.,
esp. given the [seemingly] looming spectre of neo-nazi revival.  Are
the skinheads that much a factor?  Do Germans feel uncomfortable that
there could be a legit. nazi resurgence?  Or uncomfortable that deep
down they might agree with the nazis?  Simply grist for debate, but
I'd be interested in the views of Euro-rockers on this stuf
theo

New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?