OFF: Re: R. Thompson

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Apr 23 14:22:56 EDT 1996

> It IS an amazing record, typically heart-wrenching.  It's 2 discs,
> even though it all would have fit on one.  One disc is called
> 'Voltage enhanced' and it's electric stuff.  Disc two is 'Nude,'
> appropriately stripped to voice and acoustic guitar and bass.  He
> repeats two songs on each disc, even though they wind up sounding
> very similar.  In fact, the 'Voltage Enhanced' disc is pretty spare,
> not a lot of R.T.'s famed elec. gtr work.  But I tell ya, if you like
> R.T., you've got to have this one.  Even though it's a 2-disc set,
> it's low priced--it cost about 2 bucks more than a single cd.

        I may try to get someone to pick it up in the States for me.
I listened to some of Voltage Enhanced on a "listening post" here and
it was pretty cool.  "Put It There, Pal" seemed among the bleaker songs
and most guitar pyrotechnic at the same time.

        RT is definately my favorite Strat player ;)  _guitar/vocal_ is
one of the selected CDs that crossed The Pond with me (along with
_Palace Springs_, _Space Ritual_, _Imaginos_, _Secret Treaties_, and both
Brain Surgeons discs to add a hint of topicality :)

Cheers,
Carl