BOC: Eric on WotT and other things (long)

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Apr 24 05:48:43 EDT 1996

> >     What music do you currently listen to?
> >
> >     I personally listen to all kinds of stuff. Biohazard, Prong,
> >     Machinehead, Deftones, love the White Zombie album of last year, Rage
> >     Against the Machine, Pantera, etc. I like very little of what is
> >     called Alternative, except maybe Stone Temple Pilots.
>
> I can't fault him here....  sounds like the stuff his son listens to...

        Well I dunno, I like what I've heard of Prong and White
Zombie, but Pantera just seems silly to me.  Biohazard and Machinehead
don't do too much for me either.  I've only seen STP on MTV, and for a
grungoid band they weren't too bad--though I actually got more of a kick
out of Alice in Chains :)

> >     Buck reads all his stuff. I am more into fantasy and sci-fi, than
> >     horror. I also like techno-thrillers. Looking for a good read? Try
> >     'Hyperion' or the William Gibson books.
>
> My opinion of him goes up somewhat.  'Hyperion' is on my short list as one
> of the greatest s-f books of all time.

        Haven't read Hyperion, but I got progressively more and more bogged
down in Gibson.  I gave up in frustration partway into his third book
(ya know, Neuromancer, then the nest one, and then the one after that).
I liked his short stories much better--I think the man just went berserk
in a longer format and it became more are more difficult to distinguish
the story.
        Now the first two Neal Stephenson books I quite enjoyed, even
though _Snow Crash_ began to bog a bit at the end, IMHO ...

Cheers,
Carl