HW : Print runs and Where's WotEoT?

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Wed Apr 24 09:31:05 EDT 1996

Jon Browne writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Just thought you might like read this note I recieved this morning....
> I asked how many of the remasters had been produced, how many sold and
> *where's WotEoT*?!

Well, although I'm not as fanatical about WotEoT as many on the list,
I think that in this case, it's the obvious choice for the next
remastering job.  Not just because it comes next "chronologically", or
because it's rated such a classic by fans, but because it NEEDS this
remastering.  The CDs, are lacking the incredible, piercing beauty
that the vinyl had - case in point, the synth/flute intro to The
Golden Void.  On vinyl, that passage is beautiful enough to tear your
heart in half; on CD, it sounds like you're hearing it through a
cotton sheet.  Not an actual blanket - Griffin did about as good a job
as could be expected without going "all out" like EMI just did.  :-)
But going all out is exactly what WotEoT requires, because it *has*
that incredible sonic quality, somewhere hidden behind a good but not
superlative CD tansfer.

Believe it or not, *now* I'm waiting on _Live Chronicles_ to be
re-done.  :-) As fine as the CDs are, they just don't have the sonic
quality of the vinyl - the guitars are mixed too far into the
background, in favor of those hissy synthesizers.  The balance on the
new EMI releases is *perfect*, almost unbelievably so.

Steve