BOC: Gigs in M.E.262land (was: Dino-tours)

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Tue Apr 23 22:52:59 EDT 1996

Andy wrote to Theo:
>Of course you're right, because you know the whole song and its context.
>if you're a neo-Nazi with limited English and an even more limited sense of
>irony - or a tabloid journalist, ditto - you might easily think the song
>glorifies Nazism.  I've no idea whether BOC did or did not play "Me 262" in
>Germany, but they might well have been keen to avoid anything that might
>associate them (however misguidedly) with Nazism.  After all, they were
>already sailing pretty close to the wind with the hooked cross emblem.

I agree. Tunnel vision can be pretty dangerous. It is fuel on the fire of
prejudice (or are they the same or unconditionally connected?).

(I have already talked to Theo about this.) About the symbol (the swastika,
not Saturn), used to be a symbol for 'life', a bit like Egyptian 'ankh'. It
was oulded into another meaning by some terrible things in the fourties.
I know about a story on this one. In Finland, the (naval) merchant service
use the swastika as their symbol, on their flags. When they celebrated their
umpteenth anniversary, the Finnish ambassey put out these flags, and got a
lot of angry phone calls of course.
Their symbol differs from the one with the bad name in colour (it's light
blue) and stands upright on one of the corners.
Some things are taken away out of their original context...

Jerry