kronos/busted cross?

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Wed Apr 24 13:42:50 EDT 1996

Ted O. Jackson wrote:
> Jerry on the hooked cross:
>
> > (I have already talked to Theo about this.) About the symbol (the swastika,
> > not Saturn), used to be a symbol for 'life', a bit like Egyptian 'ankh'. It
> > was oulded into another meaning by some terrible things in the fourties.
>
> I'm quite sure I've seen the swastika in some form associated with
> ancient korean martial arts.  Any Tae Kwons out there to verify?
> Also, hasn't a form of the busted cross been associated with ancient
> Hindu rituals?

According to my dictionary, the swastika is of ancient origin, with
the word coming from Sanskrit meaning "well being", and
"benediction".   It is a mystic symbol among American Indian tribes,
and in India, Japan, Persia, etc.  This swastika has the extensions
bent in a counter-clockwise direction.  The Nazi swastika has the
extensions bent in a clockwise direction (mirror image of the original
swastika).

Frank

Frank Weil | frankw at comm.mot.com | phone: (847) 576-3110 | fax: (847) 576-3240

Matt Groening, creator of "The Simpsons", speaking on fans of "The
Simpsons": I have this comic strip called 'Life In Hell', which runs
in 200 newspapers, and I get a lot of fan mail from generally
articulate, literate people. And now I walk down the street and I see
people wearing Simpsons t-shirts who I'm afraid might beat me up, so
the quality of fans has broadened. The people who are my fans now
frighten me.       -- "Newsweek" magazine, June 18, 1990, page 13