BOC: Swastikas and Me.262s!

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Apr 25 09:29:29 EDT 1996

        Dear Craig,
                    another military aircraft fanatic here! And I can
tell you that the Finns display their aircraft historically correct: as
far as they're concerned, they had the swastika first, I guess.
        To get slightly (but only slightly) more relevant, people may
remember me posting a while back about a company in California building
Me.262 replicas? This is still going ahead and the first four are nearing
completion, all already spoken for, but for $350,000 perhaps they'll add
one to the list. Anyone feeling generous?
        These things are totally authentic copies of the genuine
Messerschmitt, although they're building the two-seat version rather than
the ST single-seater, for reasons of learning to fly the thing (and
joyrides!). The only difference is the engines: not only are Jumo 004s
tricky to get hold of now, but they used to catch fire a lot, so they've
put in some new Westinghouse or General Electric things: but, being as
these are both lighter and smaller (if just as powerful), they're
installing them inside casings which have been expertly crafted to look
like the original Junkers engine, so, if you take off the cowlings you'll
see a Junkers Jumo 004B!
        Ah me - some day, when I'm rich and famous...
                                                      JAZZA