off:Kronos good/bad luck

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Apr 25 10:40:44 EDT 1996

Carl on the swastika:
> > >         The "swastika" is an ancient symbol of good luck, associated with
> > > Indo-European sky/thunder gods (i.e. Thorr/Tor) and that is precisely why
> > > the Nazis appropriated it.
> >
> > ...and inverted it (turning a good luck symbol into a bad luck symbol?)
>
>         No, this is a common post-Nazi bit of folklore.  The swastika
> originally could have it's points in either direction.  It depended on
> how the artist/inscriber/whatever perceived the thing as facing.
> Sunwise/Clockwise is always the direction of good luck for Indo-European
> cultures (and many others).  However, people did not always agree on
> whether the arms of the swastika should be *pointing* sunwise or whether
> the swastika was *turning* sunwise (causing the arms to trail
> counter-sunwise/counter-clockwise.
>         What would be the point of creating a bad-luck symbol for your
> movement?  That would just bring bad luck on you!

I think the idea came from people who assumed that the nazis were
generally corrupting the symbol on purpose, to show disrespect?  Like
people accuse BOC's symbol as being disrespectful to the crucifix,
questioning the belief that Christ died for the redemption of
humankind?
theo

New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?