Eric on Imaginos

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Fri Apr 26 04:51:19 EDT 1996

Sometime ago Carl wrote:

>         Eric also says complementary things about Crate guitar amps?  I
> recall these sucking horribly--have they changed or is he in space?
> He says they are using Crate's Blue Voodoo amps ...

I haven't tried the Crates, but Phil Hilborne (editor of *Guitar
Techniques*) was using 'em and he usually has one of the best live
guitar sounds imaginable. I don't know what model he used but they
looked amazing - a smokey plastic front that let you see the valves
glowing away.

I saw Phils band last night and he had switched to Ampeg (same company
isn't it?) and his sound was pretty average - very thin and toppy in
that American, late '80s way. I'll be interested to see if he's switched
back to Crate by the time of the Birmingham Guitar show in June.

Chris