BRAIN: Review of *Trepanation*

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Apr 26 08:09:31 EDT 1996

> >         I too, could live without "TR&TB" as often, though there are some
> > BOC songs that are still definately worth tBS outing too--I'd love to hear
> > some versions of the Imaginos material, which are very strong songs that
> > are getting foolishly ignored by BOC.  [...]
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by it being foolishly ignored by BOC.
> Isn't that like saying that Hawkwind are foolishly ignoring the
> material on _Bomber_ and _Ace of Spades_?

        Not really.  _Imaginos_ *is* officially a BOC album and they *did*
play some of the material in concert.  _I am the One ..._ derserves a
much larger airing by *someone*!  I might try to get my band here, which
is finally coalescing to do it, though I might push for D&S instead :)

        Personally, if I was BOC I'd be ripping it up with the good
material for a live band on _Imaginos_.  It's have my name on it, after
all.  But, of course, if I was BOC I'd do a lot of things different ;)

> >         But "TR&TB", fine song though it is, won't touch my well-known
> > favorite ;) "Time Is Gonna Take Care of You" (or whatever the official
> > title is).  Plus, 3OC plays it a lot and I'd be much happier hearing
> > tBS cover "lost" BOC material (like "Death Valley Nights" etc., as well
> > as unreleased tracks).
>
> I have to say, I've heard the re-worked "Death Valley Nights", and I'm
> afraid that it's in the same category as the reworked "Astronomy".
> Personally I don't think either of those songs was really crying out
> to be "rocked up".

        Eh?  Who said anything about "rocking it up"?  I've heard the tBS
"Death Valley Nights" and think it was just fine as it was (I liked the
_Imaginos_ "Astronomy" too).  I'm just saying that if tBS is gonna cover
BOC songs, I'd rather hear forgotten gems like "DVN" or never released
stuff like "Hansel & Gretel".

> However, there are tons of old BOC songs that I would love to hear.  I
> think a tBS "Dominance and Submission" would be a riot.  I'd love to
> hear them do "Celestial the Queen".  "Fireworks".  "Wings Wetted
> Down".  "7 Screaming Diz-Busters".  "Quicklime Girl".  The most holy
> (i.e. original) "Astronomy".  :-)

        tBS "Astronomy"?  I dunno.  It'd be interesting to hear
"7 Screaming Diz-busters" with Frost vocals though! :)

> You know what?  I just realised what tBS need.  A piano/keys player.

        Hmmm. You could be right--Tommy M. was a good addition to the
_Career of Christmas_ sound.

> >         I await the new album for a riff-pounder that will displace
> > "Time" as my gut-level favorite :)  Complete with patented Frost
> > Howls O' Chaos:  ("Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmme is gona take care of
> > Yooooooooouuuuuuuuuu!  [snarl snarl] :)
>
> Heard that one live yet?  The clubs lose money every time tBS play it,
> because it loosens the floorboards, and peels the paint off the walls.

        All three times I was lucky enough to see them :)  I remember
Tania even got a brief "guest vocal" at the Burlington, VT show last
August :)

Cheers,
Carl