kronos/busted cross?

john paine jpaine at LINKNET.KITSAP.LIB.WA.US
Fri Apr 26 13:33:52 EDT 1996

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Andy Gilham wrote:

> Steve P said
>
> >The swastika is an almost universal symbol for the sun.  [...]
> >The BOC symbol bears no relation to it at all.
>
> Oh, absolutely - but I expect it could remind some people of a swastika,
> especially when you slap it on the side of a bloody Messerschmitt!  I think
> Pearlman must have known what he was doing - and I think that what he was
> doing was flirting with the fetishistic aspects of Nazism, and challenging
> taboos.  Which are both fair enough!  But are sadly open to
> misinterpretation.
>
> > Has it been determined for
> >certain that the BOC symbol is the Kronos symbol?  I remember the Kronos
> >symbol being significantly different (but I haven't looked for a while)
>
> The alchemical Kronos/Saturn symbol is more like a lower-case "h" with a
> cross-bar, but it's broadly similar.  I thought the BOC symbol was an
> invention, designed to look sinister.
>
> - Andy

        I have a copy of Arthur Edward Waite's "Book of Ceremonial
Magic", which in one of the pentacles described in the book has a symbol
identical to the Blue Oyster Cult 'Kronos' symbol within it's
boundaries.  I can't recall the exact pentacle, but it's fairly well into
the text.  BTW, Waite's book is NOT an occult text in the sense of an
instruction book.  He describes various books of Black Magic and provides
commentary on their flaws/mistakes/errors.
-Passerby