Remaster decision

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Apr 29 12:24:14 EDT 1996

> > I have been trying to figure out if one should desperately go out and
> > buy the new HW remasters, as there were only 4000 made. Are these
> > likely to disappear and become a rarity??? I am still holding out hope
> > that Griffin will be able to release them in the US.... What do you
> > all think?
>
> unless it's a real financial hardship, I
> would still get them soon, just to be safe.

        I agree.  Once I have the money I am definitely going to
complete my collection of the remasters.  *Never* trust HW stuff to
stay around, no matter how likely it may seem.  You can never tell
when Doug Smith will abscond to Mars with all printed copies ;)

> if someone just played the new EMI remaster for
> me, I would think that Hawkwind was some retro psychedelic Monster
> Magnet type band, and I was listening to their new album, recorded in
> 1996.  The guitars are so intense that they'll burn holes in your
> ears.  The hiss is *gone*, despite the fact that the treble has been
> *increased*.

        And they really are tremendously well done, as Steve says.  I
don't think I ever really appreciated Doremi until I heard the remaster.
It's utterly tremendous.  _SR_ was already great for the live intensity,
but with the incredible sound of the remaster it goes into really amazing
levels of coolness beyond the stratosphere and entering low earth orbit!

Cheers,
Carl