OFF: Pink Floyd Video

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Mon Apr 29 19:09:42 EDT 1996

>        I have a question about a Pink Floyd video that a guy I trade
>with put at the end of a copy of Night of the Hawks as filler.
>
>It is from 1966, and in the titles, they are refered to as The Pink
>Floyd.  It is in a club in London(?) called The UFO Club. They
>start out doing Interstellar Overdrive, and then I can not
>recognize the second song.  Does anyone else have this video, and
>if so, do you know the name of the second song? The drums in it
>suggest the beginnings of Set the Controls... but they all kinda go
>off into different tangents musically.
> Thanks in advance,
>Duane

       I've got this one.  About 25 mins long, it is from a studio session
       that features Syd Barrett himself, and is probably (one of) the
       best quality clips to actually show ol' Crazy Diamond in action.
       Syd is the guy with the mustache, and a striped shirt? I believe.

       The first song is "Interstellar Overdrive", and features the early
       Floyd in the studio.  The second is called "Nick's Boogie", and is
       a free-form jam based loosely around the Nick Mason's drums.  The
       video accompanying "N.B." is from the 24-Hour Technicolor Dream, or
       some silly name like that.  :-)  This was a major Happening[tm] in
       London in the late sixties.  If you look close you'll see both Paul
       McCartney and John Lennon wandering around, as well as Yoko Ono
       before she actually met Lennon (take note trivia fans!).

       There were many bands that played at the Roundhouse (?location
       unsure - it is written down at home) for this special event.  It
       can be compared to the San Francisco 'Family Dog' acid parties that
       Bill Graham used to throw with Santana, the Dead, and the Airplane.

       The first clip ("I.O.") is from the sessions for the movie 'Tonight
       Let's All Make Love in London', if I remember right. There is a
       full-length soundtrack CD to this movie containing both songs, plus
       others (non-PF) from the film.  Both PF songs have also been issued
       on a CD-single also called 'TLAMLIL' that contains only the two PF
       songs. "Nick's Boogie" has never appeared elsewhere, other than
       this one recording.

       This video has become pretty widely available in the last 2 years,
       typically retailing for about $20-25.  It comes with a nice color
       cover featuring Syd holding an accoustic guitar.  I believe the
       title is "Pink Floyd - London 1966-67", or something similar.

       Captain "Pink Floyd" Cloud
       cjohnson at sur1a.hpsc.hisd.harris.com