HW sorta: Simon House's Yassassim?

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Mon Apr 29 19:40:31 EDT 1996

> Secondly, for those of you who have heard it, what does it sound like?
> Solo effort, a band backing him up, ethnic-rock, ambient, rap, what??

       Frank did a good job of describing this one, I thought.  One other
       impression it left on me, however, is that 'Yassassim' is a more
       rock-oriented version of the same stuff that Simon put out as
       Spiral Realms, except not quite as "techno".  There seems to be a
       little more of the song structure that we traditionally recognize
       in progressive music on 'Yassassim', as opposed to some of the
       ambient-type soundscapes that pop up on 'Trip to G9' and 'Crystal
       Jungles of Eos', or the Annubian Lights stuff.

       Perhaps it is a decreased dependency on drum machines, I dunno...
       And the increased prominency of Simon's violin is a treat.  The
       best Spiral Realms stuff is where Simon concentrates on the violin.

       In brief:
       Yassassim     - spacy, swooshy progressive
       Spiral Realms - spacy, swooshy techno

       Captain "got my Griffin Yassassim at Delta Wave" Cloud
       cjohnson at sur1a.hpsc.hisd.harris.com

       ObWorthApologizingFor: using the word "progressive" to describe
       music that encourages thought...