Remaster decision

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Tue Apr 30 03:50:41 EDT 1996

On 29-APR-1996 11:23:58.0 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >These new remasters break that rule.  Take _Doremi_ for instance - if I
   >didn't know Hawkwind - if someone just played the new EMI remaster for
   >me, I would think that Hawkwind was some retro psychedelic Monster
   >Magnet type band, and I was listening to their new album, recorded in
   >1996.  The guitars are so intense that they'll burn holes in your
   >ears.  The hiss is *gone*, despite the fact that the treble has been
   >*increased*.  The whole album used to sound like it was recorded
   >through microphones wrapped in wet felt.  Now it sounds like it was
   >recorded in a modern digital studio.  You've probably heard what Mobile
   >Fidelity Sound Labs can make old vinyl-age recordings sound like.
   >These new EMI releases sound *better*.

I haven't even heard these remasters yet, so I'm not really judging them,
but with the sound being so drastically different from the originals,
doesn't
it bother anyone? I mean, sure the production of Doremi from a techincal
standpoint was atrocious, but that's just the way it was, it's still a
classic album, partly BECAUSE of the raw production,
and I feel like
I'd be uncomfortable if it actually had a more modern sound/production. How
much can an album be messed with, with it still being the same album?

   >Steve

Chuck
`[1;35;40mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive