Go with the gold

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Apr 30 10:26:50 EDT 1996

> Well, now this is the kicker, isn't it?  They finally get a record deal,
> and the company doesn't plan on releasing the album in North America --
> boy this sounds more like the story of Spinal Tap every day.  I mean,
> really - how big is BOC overseas?  And, if they ARE big overseas, you
> sure wouldn't know it by BOC's current touring schedule.  So, if I assume
> that most of BOC's fans are in the U.S., then I have to question the
> wisdom of getting a record deal with a company that isn't going to
> release the album there!  Sure, some of us fans over here will get

This does seem strange.  I can only speculate that the German company
must be dangling some incentive.  Perhaps they're giving them a
decent advance to work on the disc?  This always seems to be a bone
of contention with BOC.  They seem to really crave the 'star'
treatment.  Also, if, as you've said earlier, that the songs are
already essentially done, maybe BOC figure it's a sweet deal--get a
big advance for tunes you've already done, simply take the money and
run, and give the company already-finished songs?  Also, it might be
good strategy to go with a Euro label at first.  Then, if the
record's really solid and Americans start clamoring, then, if the
record's sold well overseas, it might give them leverage with a US
label.  This is pure speculation on my part...
theo

New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?