BOC: Don't hold your breath, but...

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Apr 30 13:50:49 EDT 1996

        I see that once again, the boc-l server has dropped me into the
middle of a thread.  I guess I can expect the first post in a couple of
weeks ;)

> >The paper work now finished, we can announce the signing of BOC to SVP
> >Records, based in Germany.
>
> This would seem to be good news - at least a step in some direction
> (positive or negative).

        SVP ....?  Is that also Motorhead's current label?  I know
Motorhead is on a German label, which _was_ ZYX, but have a possibly
erroneous recollection of Motorhead switching to a different 3-letter
German label for _Sacrifice_ ....

        So poor Eric has had to eat his words about major labels? ;)
Well, good.  A minor label is better than nothing.  And it could be
worse in the States--I remember when Motorhead's _Bastards_ showed up
on ZYX a fair number of copies showed up in the States at domestic prices
despite having "Made in Germany" printed on them.

> > We hope to be recording during the Summer and
> Fall of '96 , playing a few shows inbetween.
>
> I thought that a good portion of the album was already recorded.  How
> much more time do they need?

        I doubt they'd recorded much.  I suspect they might have some
demo bits, but I seriously doubt the band has been in the studio since
they recorded _Cult Classic_.  Maybe Buck has finished building this
studio in his house we've heard about occasionally and they'll record
there ...

        Maybe they'll ask to use Al's studio ;) ;) ;)  Maybe Al could
offer them a deal on Cellsum for US release ;) ;) ;)

> >Release date is hopefully 1st
> quarter of '97.
>
> Well, like Andy says, don't hold your breath - but perhaps it'll be better
> than hearing Eric say "in the future" at BOC shows.

        Oh?  I recall him saying "Spring of '93" at certain points.
I don't see why "1st quarter of '97" need be any more accuarate ...
Still, here's hoping ...

> So, if I assume
> that most of BOC's fans are in the U.S., then I have to question the
> wisdom of getting a record deal with a company that isn't going to
> release the album there!

        Maybe, they finally realised they weren't gonna do any better
unless they got a move on!

> Geez, if they were going to go this route,
> you'd think they could've self-produced the thing and made it available
> to the U.S. that way.

        Don't worry.  I bet it will be available in England, so we can
just set up a service to get BOC albums to the States.  Ironic that
it used to be HW albums that the UK contingent was sending to the
States .... ;)

> Well . . . we'll just have to wait and see what develops now I guess . . .

        As always, with BOC.  Will they actually do something worthwhile?
Will time take care of them, or will the rise and reverberate?

        Boy, wouldn't it be embarrassing to get outsold by tBS just because
tBS had a US distributor? ;)

Cheers,
Carl