BOC/HW ratio

Karl Hiller khiller at NICKEL.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Thu Aug 1 13:15:11 EDT 1996

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Christian Mumford wrote:

> What's the ratio of Hawkwind fans, Blue Oyster Cult fans, and fans of
> both on this list??

Well, I'm both.  If I had to pick one as a primary band, I'd say BOC,
because I'm more familiar with them.  In my mind, BOC is a fairly tidy
package -- I know about all the band members and personnel changes; I
have all their albums and can have an intelligent conversation about what
I like/dislike about each song, and what the lyrics might mean; etc.  I
could sit down write a paper about them right now if I had to.

If BOC is a fishbowl, then Hawkwind is a flooded basement.  I gave up
trying to keep track of which songs were on which albums a long time ago,
thanks to the plethora of compilations, recompilations, and
re-recompilations.  BOC has songs that I don't particularly like, on
albums that are otherwise decent; Hawkwind has whole albums that I can't
stand, either because of the sound quality (Yuri Gagarin, anyone?) or
because I just plain don't like the music (PXR5, Astounding Sounds).
Also, being in the US, it's been *much* harder to find old Hawkwind (I've
only ever seen CYM and Somic Attack once, and if I hadn't met the guy who
taped them for me at Ohio State, I would never have heard two of my
favorite HW albums!) and much harder to keep up with new releases (I
found Palace Springs, Electric Tepee, and IITBOTFTBD before I knew that
they existed, and at first thought that they were more
re-re-recompilations!).  And, I've seen BOC twice, and HW never.

> Now another question would be: how many BOC fans have picked up Hawkwind
> albums or seen them live because of this list, and how many Hawkwind
> fans have done vice versa?

I was into both before I found this list.  Probably BOC first.

I did get introduced to the Brain Surgeons here.

Karl