BOC: Re: BD the sofa spud?

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 1 13:34:28 EDT 1996

One of the things that came through the Goldmine hagiography was how they've
always felt constrained to "sound like BOC" - as if they were always acting a
part, not being themselves.  Perhaps because that's how SP created their
image, and when SP had other ideas, he did them with other bands?

But when they did feel stifled by SP's direction, when they did try to take
control, change the sound, whatever, we ended up with failures like
_Mirrors_.  Plus, the two times that BD tried something outside of BOC (_Flat
Out_, and The Red & The Black), they were both greeted with mass apathy from
fans and critics alike.

So I can understand why, now, they'd rather not try anything new.  It's still
a shame.  And it still doesn't forgive _Cult Classic_.

>From a purely street-credibility aspect, of course, the best thing they could
have done is break up right after _Feet or Knees_... :)

- Andy

ObCD: Wayne Kramer - _Dangerous Madness_