*sigh* tape trading

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Fri Aug 2 01:03:46 EDT 1996

Karl,

>I understand that part of the reason
>for this is to avoid getting in trouble for selling tapes (although I'm
>not sure that trading is any more legal...)

I wouldn't feel good to me if I'd sell tapes. I haven't done anything to
produce the tapes, I just attend a concert and tape it, or trade it. No
effort whatsoever. Why should I make money on it? To me there /is/ a
difference between trading and selling: making money out of someone's efforts
while doing nothing in return or not. I trade tapes, I don't sell nor buy.

>However, it seems that the
>only way to get tapes is to already have them.

Anyone trading tapes had to start somewhere! :-)

>I'd love to have some BOC/HW concert tapes, but since I don't have
>anything to offer in trade, I'm pretty well screwed.  Does anyone have
>any suggestions on how to get a foot in the door, so to speak?

Suggestions: Find someone friendly enough to give you some tapes for nothing.
Or, find someone friendly enough to trade live tapes for blank tapes. Both
cases apply to my starting with tape trading.
I won't offer to trade any tapes for blanks here on boc-l, or I can imagine
me copying tapes for boc-l the next six months. I don't have the time, so I
quit tape trading almost completely. But it is a way to start.

Good luck,
Jerry