Life On Mars..?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Aug 7 10:01:47 EDT 1996

Chris Bates writes:

> Well from my semi-awake listening to the radio this a.m. I think it
> works like this...
>
> The meteorite hits Antarctica N years ago. The fossils of the primitive
> lifeforms are greater than N years old so they must've been in the
> meteorite when it landed. It probably didn't stop off on the way so the
> lifeforms come from Mars.
>
> Easy - anyone can do this astro-geology lark:-)

Curious, though, how this whole subject suddenly arose so soon after
there's been a conference to discuss the whole issue of when and how to
get a manned or unmanned craft to Mars and back and (probably) where the
funding would come from.   I understand that the current odds of a
manned Mars expedition before the end of this millenium were (a few weeks
ago) standing at 50:1.   Quick flutter anyone?

Yrs with a certain touch of cynicism....

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk