Life On Mars..?

Bryan Irby irby at CRUX.ASTR.UA.EDU
Wed Aug 7 14:47:11 EDT 1996

> > The evidence is exciting, even compelling, but not
> > conclusive.  It is a discovery that demands further
> > scientific investigation.  NASA is ready to assist the
> > process of rigorous scientific investigation and lively
> > scientific debate that will follow this discovery.
>
> Translation: "Give us more money!"
>
> Cynically,

Exactly what my brother said.  He thinks it's just a little too close
to the bad sci fi movie hype and the xfiles and so forth...  I tried to
convince him that if it is in fact a hoax, those responsible will in fact
be found out and spanked...  You just can't get away with that sort of thing
in the scientific community; not once the data is made public anyway.

-Bryan