Patti Smith at the Empire

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 9 10:48:05 EDT 1996

All 13-year-olds with a guitar - like Johnny in "The Marshall Plan" - play
"Smoke on the Water".  Not all 13-year-olds, on the other hand, get to play
"Smoke on the Water" to a packed theatre, with Lenny Kaye and Tom Verlaine,
and with Patti Smith on backup vocals.  Jackson Smith did on Wednesday.  It
must be the coolest thing in the world to be Patti Smith's son!

If you didn't know much about Patti Smith, you might expect her be be
somewhat haughty and aloof.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  What
really impressed was her warmth, humour, humanity, and humility.  That, and
her amazing voice, and commanding stage presence; from the moment she walked
on stage, beamed a smile from ear to ear, and launched into "Piss Factory",
you knew this was a night to remember!

She didn't disappoint in terms of playing old favourites - "Dancing
Barefoot", "Because the Night", "Gloria" - and represented all the albums
from her career, but also startled with an astonishing cover of Prince's
"When Doves Cry", and a gorgeous acoustic "Crystal Ship" (the Doors).

And what a great backup band!  I didn't realise what a guitar god Tom
Verlaine is!  And John Cale (John Cale!!!) showed up for the encore!

All in all, one hell of a show.  Diffcult to mention highlights, because it
was *all* a highlight.  Patti might be older now, but she showed amazing
enthusiasm, and except for some grey in the hair, and the glasses she needed
for poetry reading, you'd never know it.  When she repeatedly fluffed a chord
in the final song ("Farewell Reel"), the audience, by now in the palm of her
hand, shouted encouragement and clapped along to provide an accompaniment.

The good news for those who weren't there is, the show was recorded, so
(unless it was for radio, but I didn't get that impression) you can expect a
live album!  (Although, as she joked, "Farewell Reel" will probably remain
"our private moment").  And if she plays anywhere near you, run, don't walk,
and get a ticket.

- Andy