off: Singapore

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Mon Aug 12 15:38:56 EDT 1996

>I think I might be repeating a couple of band names, but with [I
>hope] different definitions:
>
>Cane Surgeons:  Al and Deb caught grafitti-ing in Singapore [or is it
>                Malaysia?]

I think that mistakenly saying Singapore was part of Malaysia is
cause for caning in Singapore.

Singapore is an independant city/state nation off the southern
tip of the Malaysian peninsula, residing on one major island
and several smaller ones.  Originally, when the region obtained
its independence, Singapore was thrown in with Malaysia, if I
remember right they were effectively rejected by Malaysia who
feared it would dominate the political and economic climate.

Culturally and ethnically, Singapore is as much Chinese as
Malaysian...

Malaysia does not, I believe have caning laws, but it does
have mandatory death penalties for any drug offenses
whatsoever, no matter how minor, so it is unlikely that
Hawkwind will ever play there.  I doubt they will ever play
in Singapore either, as most their hairstyles would probably
be against the law as well.
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random
Guildmaster of Reeves
Barony of Silverwater
Kingdom of the Burning Lands
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm