OFF : Cope

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Aug 13 09:18:02 EDT 1996

In message <Chameleon.4.01.2.960812183016.jerry@?>, Jerry
<stayer at PI.NET> writes
>Andy,
>
>>Further reading: try Julian Cope's _Krautrockampler_ (in all good
>>bokkstores), or my Amon Duul II page,
>
>Shit, this is good! I love Cope's musical / lyrical work, but now it appears
>he has written a book? Hm, should get that soon! Can you give me the ISBN
>please?

The Wholly Cosmic Julian H.Cope, Arch-Drude of Wessex has written a
couple of books. The first volume of his autobiography "Head On" is the
finest piece of rock writing ever ever ever. Better than Lester Bangs,
Joe Bob, or Griel Marcus. Better than Wonderland Avenue. etc.

He's nearly completed his Magnus Opus "The Modern Antiquarian" which is
a complete study of stone circles, sacred sites, hill forts etc. Cope
over the last few years has visited every single one of them, taken
photos, grooved the vibes etc. If it's written in the same freaked out
hipspeak as Head On, it'll be as entertaining as its useful.

His latest single "I Come From Another Planet, Baby" is wonderful.
The b-side is him ranting about Houdini and "Glambiance". The new album
promises to be "A Cosmic Kundalini up the Psychic-Jaxxee"
And this guy doesn't oversell himself. If he says it'll be freaked out
and cosmic then it usually is.

Although he's only done 15 or so albums, for me Cope is the only person
whose personal mythology is as complete and compelling as the Hawks.

You can order the books from

K.A.K. Ltd
PO Box 3823
London
N8 8TQ

You can also just send your name and address to KAK to receive strange
postcards of Stone Circles and Julian's kids, covered in ramblings and
rantings absolutely free! And with worrying regularity too! my office is
covered in Cope's postcards.

For those who've never heard the guy, I guess he's a bit like a post-
punk Syd Barrett who never quite went over the edge. No, scratch that,
he did and he's sending postcards back. A lot of his stuff is an
acoustic guitar and the truth. There is a lot of full band stuff there
too, but it's really Julian himself who's far-out and psychedelic rather
than the Moog's he uses. Which he does.

Album's to check out are "Peggy Suicide" or "Jehovahkill"
a great comp is "Floored Genius".

My passion for Julian Cope is only matched by my love of Hawkwind.
And although they don't sound too similar, they both come from the same
planet, and it ain't this one!
--
Jon Browne
- We talked for hours, except for the fainting - Cope