HW: Calvert obit

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Thu Aug 15 03:50:32 EDT 1996

There was a short obituary in the Guardian newspaper - I don't read the
Guardian, myself, but a friend who does rang me up straightaway.

He sent me the clipping:

---
Robert Calvert, 43:  songwriter, performer and playwright who in the course of
a brilliant though erratic career published two volumes of poetry (Centigrade
232 and The Earth Ritual).  He made five record albums, and there were also
five plays and performances.  To his fans, the lean whirlwind figure onstage,
singing with a band or performing in his own plays or cabaret, gave the
impression of ferocious talent or energy.  But people who knew him will
remember his humour, his tolerance, his gift for friendship and nonsense, and
an almost Pooter-like attachment to quiet domesticity. - H.B.
---

My guess (but it's only that) is that "H.B." is Hilary Bailey.  The most
obvious thing about this notice is the absence of the word "Hawkwind", which
maybe suggests some bad blood right up to the end.  Which would be sad.

- Andy