HW: Calvert obit

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Aug 15 10:29:59 EDT 1996

Andrew Gilham writes:

> There was a short obituary in the Guardian newspaper - I don't read the
> Guardian, myself, but a friend who does rang me up straightaway.

<snip>

> My guess (but it's only that) is that "H.B." is Hilary Bailey.  The most
> obvious thing about this notice is the absence of the word "Hawkwind", which
> maybe suggests some bad blood right up to the end.  Which would be sad.

Not necessarily, I'd guess - I always thought he'd been planning a link-up
between Capt. Lockheed and the StarFighters and Hawkwind just before he
died.   I'd be more inclined to suspect that the Grauniad being (as it
is) a middle-class guardian of moral taste and values, it was considered
impolitic to mention that Calvert had a close connection with a space
rock band of dubious reputation.

perhaps?

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk