OFF: English

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Sun Aug 18 01:31:38 EDT 1996

Jerry says to Rocker22:
>>No matter how bad my English is, it always feels good to hear a person
>>first language /is/ English, say that it's still better than his or her
>>(insert name of ANY non-English language here)... :-)))

Jon Browse states:
>I know several people for whom English is a second language who are more
>articulate than many people for whom English is their *only* language!

I think this is because when English is being taught as a second language,
the way of teaching is different. I know Dutch people who know the rules to
English grammar, but keep making the same mistakes in Dutch, their first
language, over and over again.
Ah well, we learn to communicate - that's what we do. As long as anyone
understands what I say, it should be okay. But actually - I'd like to learn
more.

Jerry

Latest pick-up line that worked:
"I was about to say something highly romantic, but the deafening impact of
your stunning beauty made me forget everyhting that was not remotely
connected to any part of your divine physique..."