sabbath/moorcock?

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Aug 22 10:52:07 EDT 1996

> good morning, list
> this is free thoughts directly stolen from the sabbath mailing list:

> > I just purchased the EI [eternal idol] remaster. I still consider
> > it an amazing album. The title track and the shinning are simply great
>
> This one and "Tyr" are my favourite Tony Martin era albums.  Granted, EI
> seemed to appear at a time when Iommi was just struggling to keep the
> band's head above water, but Tony Martin did a pretty good job IMHO of
> filling in in a pinch.  Still, I think that all told, the album sounds
> better with Ray Gillen. <grin>

I've always thought that Tony Martin had the best voice of any of
the Sab singers.  Not that I think this is their best material.  Even
though Ozzy's not really much of a singer, he suited the mood of
their early stuff quite well.  And was very compatible, in some
strange way, to Geezer's lyrics.  The band changed dramatically when
Dio got aboard, due chiefly to his taking over the lyric writing.  He
was also a great showman. I haven't see Sab with Tony, so I can't
comment on his live role, but his lyrics created another stylistic
departure for the band, leaning now toward mythology [Tyr] and then
to the political stuff...
theo