sabbath/moorcock?

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Thu Aug 22 15:25:01 EDT 1996

Steve "ears of clay :-) " Swann says--

> Martyn White writes:
> >
> > >I've always thought that Tony Martin had the best voice of any of
> > >the Sab singers.  Not that I think this is their best material.  Even
> > >though Ozzy's not really much of a singer, he suited the mood of
> >         What?  You can't be serious.  I think Ozzy has one
> > of the all-time greatest voices in rocknroll
>
> And I think you're both nuts!  :-) Dio was the best they ever had,
> even if he was an asshole (he and Iommi clearly deserve each other).
> Tony Martin's voice is no better than "acceptable".  It has a lot of
> the same tonalities as Dio's, but he doesn't have as much control,
> nor the expressive emotional range that Dio does.

Martyn is correct--Ozzy was the best Black Sabbath vocalist. Dio has a
reasonably good voice, in a very conventional sense, but he's a bit too
wrapped up in his own sense of rock 'n roll grandiosity to take seriously.
Listening to Dio, I'm more prone to think "Is this guy for real?" than
"What a great vocalist!".

> Ozzy is a great bandleader, but that's more in spite of his voice
> than because of it.  ;-)

Listen to Sabotage, Volume Four, and Never Say Die, and I MAY absolve you
of your sins. :-)

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse