New Topic

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Thu Aug 22 20:06:33 EDT 1996

Hey Folks...

I know it's been a bit thin, with apparently a lot of people taking time off
from work and school, but the list seems to be in a rut at the moment.  We need
something new and preferably controversial to start getting interested in.

I mean, when the 'What Black Sabbath singer was the best?' thread starts to
take over *this* list (as opposed to the 'metal' newsgroup where it belongs),
then you know it's really a slow news day.  That's not to say that I'm not
interested in Sabbath...I've got albums with all five singers...but maybe
there's something we could talk about a *little* closer to topic.

Like, I saw a couple of the 'new' Motorhead releases on CD the other day...I
think they're on 'Restless' or was it 'Roadracer'??  I dunno..one of those 'R'
labels.  I had heard that they were re-mastered, but there wasn't any
indication of that on the disc itself...although there were definitely bonus
tracks.  I think I saw Bomber and Ace of Spades, and maybe Iron Fist...I dunno,
my memory's going.  But I didn't see 'No Sleep 'till Hammersmith'...it'd be
nice if they found the rest of that show to add on to that one...fill it out to
60-70 minutes or so.  That was a great gig.

Or maybe we could talk about people's favourite 'Hawkwind' logos & fonts.
What do you think was their most classic emblem??  Was it the two-headed hawk?
The Doremi shield?  The Roadhawks train?  The inverted triangle?  The Warrior
on the Edge?  I know there's plenty more....

How 'bout 'fonts' then...for lack of a better word.  They must've used more
different styles than any other band.  Only a few 'classics' have continued to
appear over the years, including the 'Gothic' HotMG/Warrior style, the tilted
Doremi style, and the angular 'Sonic Attack' lettering....a couple others I
suppose.

If I were to vote, I suppose I'd choose the Warrior image as my favourite
Hawkwind icon (and my favourite album cover of all time), and the Sonic Attack
lettering.  When I lived in Philadelphia, I had painted an exact (well, close)
replica of the Warrior cover (only the LP front) on my apartment wall...it was
5 feet square.  Too bad I ended up moving and had to paint over it....except it
meant I no longer lived in Philadelphia... :)

Keith H. (FAA)

BTW, Ian Gillan is my favourite vocalist that was in Black Sabbath...not
*with* Black Sabbath, though.