spong or frap?

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Fri Aug 23 13:50:58 EDT 1996

>Well, Hilariously enough issue 6 of Brainstorm Comix (by the great Bryan
>Talbot) was subtitled Amazing Rock'n'Roll Stories featured a band of
>Aliens taking the world over with their brand of mind-controlling
>psychedelia and LP covers with a contact hallucinagenic etc.
>
>Anyway when the alien band does their first gig they have a stack of
>synths which would " make Hawkwind jealous". In fact on 2 or 3 occasions
>in the story the only way to convey how far out this band are is to
>describe them as "further out than Hawkwind" !
>
>So Mart, I'm afraid you did post a Hawk-related message after all.

        Great to hear from somebody who has also read Brainstorm Comix.
I didn't realise that they had got as far as issue 6.  The one that I
was discussing must be issue 1, right?

>Wasn't it "FRAP" though, not "SPONG"?  I clearly remember the line "my
>head went FRAP and then I came down" :) The character was Chester B.
>Hackenbush , The Psychedelic Alchemist BTW!

        The first picture when his trip comes on is definetely SPONG.  I
made a bunch of photocopies of this full page picture at work and gave them
to friends as really cool wall posters :-).
        On subsequent pages, various things happen to Chester's head and
one of them is a set of solid black and white zig zag electric lines
going through it and this is the one with FRAP.
        Thats if my memory serves me correctly (which may not
always be the case)
        If anyone has a copy of this issue and can scan these two pages in,
I will buy them a bottle of "Tanqueray".

Martyn

BTW the content-free post of last night was caused by someone coming
into the office to drag me out and my hitting ^D instead of ^C and
I had been drinking "BUD ICE" and not (as has beeen alleged by another
former resident of the great state of North Carolina who will remain
nameless even though he knows exactly who he is and its always his
fault under any circumstances ;-) gin and tonic.

--
Jon Browne