OFF: Re: Pyramids

Gordon Hundley drgoon at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK
Fri Aug 23 23:07:00 EDT 1996

Yes, the basic insight that Bauval made while looking at Orion's belt was
that it was the same as the ground plan of the three pyramids at Giza.
Since then, he's done a lot of research and involved people from several
disciplines in order to show that not only is this the case, but that the
other major pyramids (4th through 6th dynasties) are also laid out as
other stars in the sky, and that the Nile valley fits as the Milky Way.
That's strange enough, but the degree of accuracy, and the knowledge of
advanced astronomy, physics and mathematics that it suggests completely
goes against all previously accepted views of ancient civilisations. The
evidence is complelling, and while he necessarily draws some conclusions
that seem hard to prove, its much harder to suggest other rational
explanations that are more probable.

Gilbert did a lot of the later work with Bauval, and is the most 'wired'
of the bunch - you'll often finding him kicking about in sci.archeology.
Thier book is called 'The Orion Mystery'.

Hancock wrote another, heftier book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'
which explores the similarities in a number of ancient myth cultures in
search of ancient civilisation. West's 'Serpent in the Sky' is nearly a
decade earlier, exploring the possibility of a civilisation that
antedates Pharonic Egypt, but contains less scientific observation.

Bauval and Hancock co-authored 'Keeper of Genesis', a bbok about the
Sphynx, which was recently published. What with Gantenbrink's discoveries
in the southern shaft of the Queen's chamber, and the seismic surveys
confirming the prediction of the chamber below the Sphinx, there are a
number of contemporary archeologists, anthropologists and others who's
theories may be disproven, hence the controversy.

That's before we even go into stuff like the Chinese pyramids in Xian
province, or the martian pyramids and face of 'Cydonia', etc, etc.

We live in very very interesting times indeed. Book me a ticket on the
Last Train to Lhasa please, I'd like to participate in the dawn of the
6th age of man. :)

If you're facinated by this sort of thing, then Amateur Astronomy and
Earth Sciences (AA&ES) is well worth subscribing to. The sci.archeology
newsgroup has occasional gems and breaking news, but, as ever with
UseNet, the signal:noise ratio is bad.

Gordon.