sabbath/moorcock?

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Sat Aug 24 22:08:26 EDT 1996

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 wrote:

> > Martyn is correct--Ozzy was the best Black Sabbath vocalist. Dio has a
> > reasonably good voice, in a very conventional sense, but he's a bit too
> > wrapped up in his own sense of rock 'n roll grandiosity to take seriously.
> > Listening to Dio, I'm more prone to think "Is this guy for real?" than
> > "What a great vocalist!".
> >
> > > Ozzy is a great bandleader, but that's more in spite of his voice
> > > than because of it.  ;-)
> >
> > Listen to Sabotage, Volume Four, and Never Say Die, and I MAY absolve you
> > of your sins. :-)
> >
> > Guido
> >
> Well, for sure, Vol. 4 is an all-time, desert isle classic, though
> again, not nec. because of Ozzy!
> Who needs absolution?
> theo

I wholeheartedly agree. A brilliant album. Their best... IMHO... as for
Ozzy, well he always sounded drunk and fucked up and complimented the
grunginess of their early (pre-SBS) stuff well - and well beyond... He
was the one guy in Heavy Metal at the time except a few chosen ones
(say, Brock or Bloom...) who didn't sound as if he'd taken fucking
singing-lessons at Madame fucking Bachmeyerbeethoven's or somebody and
had his balls ripped off in some kind of horrible zipper or bear-trap
accident afterwards. Draw a straight line from Ozzy to Rotten to Hell.
Shit, I'm fucked up.....%)~~ 'scuze me

christian