OFF: Re: Pyramids

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Aug 26 19:07:11 EDT 1996

Gordon Hundley writes:

> WARNING ** this has no HW or BOC reference at all - except that HW would
> be writing songs about Atlantean civilistaions building pyramids if they
> weren't already writing songs about aliens ** :)

Actually it's a pity we can't involve Ron Tree in this!  Listening to
his TV interview on that recent programme I think he'd have a
considerable input of opinion to offer us......

> Yes, sure, but that's not the case here. These megalithic monuments tie
> up very closely indeed with the positions of several very bright
> celestial objects, particularly if you take into account the precession

yes - but the sheer number of "bright celestial objects" in the night
sky and the huge time-scale he is operating with leaves me still
uncertain on this.

> Oh, I think you're wrong. There are plenty of people still desperately
> clinging onto older 'evidence' that the age of man is some 6000 years,
> and that the alignment of the pyramids is happen-chance because ancient
> man did not possess accurate enough timekeeping to correctly make
> longitudinal calculations.

Do you need timekeeping?   Wouldn't ground measurement and local
observation be sufficient?

Yeah I guess we differ here - I'll stick with the Occam's Razor type
belief that there's no need for a higher knowledge if something can be
constructed by normal everyday folk with normal everyday intelligence.
And if we don't know *why* the stuff was built then it's no more
strange than folk 7000 years from now wondering why there are so many
different types of churches or what the strange pyramid shape at
Glastonbury with all its flashing lights was for  8-)

> Some of the knowledge, such as the timekeeping require to make maps as
> accurate as some very early ones based on source maps from Constantinople
> has not been rediscovered until very recently indeed.

Interesting - which maps are these?

> Let the wild speculation continue - it generates more potential ideas

agreed!   No argument here.

cheers

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk