OFF: Re: Pyramids

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Aug 26 16:09:36 EDT 1996

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Gordon Hundley wrote:

> WARNING ** this has no HW or BOC reference at all - except that HW would
> be writing songs about Atlantean civilistaions building pyramids if they
> weren't already writing songs about aliens ** :)
>
> Jill writes:
>
> > However I remember being less convinced by the other pyramids (there
> were
> > significant gaps as I recall and, as always in these cases, sufficient
> > stars in the sky to assign any pyramid to something, whether obvious or
> > not).
>
> Yes, sure, but that's not the case here. These megalithic monuments tie
> up very closely indeed with the positions of several very bright
> celestial objects, particularly if you take into account the precession
> of the equinoxes and reference a date of 10240BC.

So, are you saying that these pyramids "tie up very closely indeed" with
various stars iff you assume they were constructed (or planned) in
10240BC?  In other words, if, say, they were constructed in 3000BC, they
might not actually tie up "very closely indeed" at all because the stars
might not be in the right positions?  What led to the date of 10240BC
being chosen?

I wonder how many stars/date combinations there are to pick from?  Does
it depend upon how "very close" you want the alignment to be?

> Bauval isn't fool
> enough to take on the wrath of every egyptologist by suggesting that the
> pyramids are of that age (though other scholars have) but instead says
> that the ground plan must have been fixed at that time.

Is that "must have been fixed at that time" in order for the entire
theory to work out nicely?  Or is there some other factor underpinning
the qualifier "must?"

> However, it seems that the folk of 7000 (?) years ago possessed
> exceedingly high knowledge.

It is quite a shame that this "exceedingly high knowledge" did not run to
include written language.  Such a lot of this mystery and head-scratching
would have been avoided, and we would not have to "learn today what they
knew Way Back Then," with all the attendant wasted effort.

> Let the wild speculation continue - it generates more potential ideas

It certainly generates something... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obSong: Frank Zappa, "Inca Roads"

PS: Everyone knows that J.R. "Bob" Dobbs handled the contract to build
the pyramids (and cleared quite a tidy profit, I might add).  I have
irrefutable PROOF! ;-)

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.