BOC: Patti Smith/Allen Lanier

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Tue Aug 27 17:05:38 EDT 1996

> I wouldn't presume to defend Allen [though I'd like to hear his side
> of it] but we need to keep in mind that this incident occurred at the
> height [!] of BOC's popularity.  Wouldn't this have been around the
> laser/football stadium phase of BOC's career?  In that light [ouch]
> we might understand how AL might have expceted a bit of deference as
> being a member of one of the top acts of that time.

Maybe I didn't express myself very well!  What I meant was it seemed a strange
concept in 1996, when BOC are all but forgotten, and Cale's stature has grown.
 Quite a contrast with 1975, when, yes, BOC were a top stadium act.

In Patti Smith's part of the interview, she says "I don't really remember
conflict between him [Cale] and my boyfriend at the time, but I know there was
some jealousy."

The whole interview is very interesting, actually!  The Indy has a presence on
AOL, so if my account were still working there I'd see if I could snag a
copy...  or maybe any AOLers here might take a look?  (Keyword INDEPENDENT.)

- Andy

ObCD: Alan Davey - _Captured Rotation_