HW : Name

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Aug 27 12:53:29 EDT 1996

In message <9608271504.aa19816 at uk.ac.ed.tattoo>, J Strobridge
<eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK> writes
>All the official histories have the naming after Nik Turner and/or Terry
>Ollis (in appearance) and even, I think, Nik Turner tells this story.   The
>comment afterwards is usually along the lines of "so this is the rather
>prosaic reasoning behind the Hawkwind name - not very esoteric or
>exciting is it!"

Hmm, well, you can't argue with "official histories" can you? :)
I have to say, I'm not entirely convinced, esp. as Nik has on several
occasions revealed a knowledge of Crowley, e.g. he performed the Lesser
Pentagramic Ritual onstage at Stonehenge '84.

I bloody well bet there's a bit more significance to it than Nose-fart,
I don't think these guys choose the name quite so lightly esp. at a time
(the '60's) when *everything* had *meaning*. (Man!)

Oh well, anyway, if they're not telling, it's clearly a private matter.
--
Jon Browne