HW : Name

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Wed Aug 28 14:11:27 EDT 1996

Jon replied to me:

>>and I never bought the "special offer on
>>seafood" story the other side of the list put about, either... :)
>>
>>- Andy
>What?! I must have missed that one!

That's the story where Pearlman and Meltzer saw a restaurant selling Blue
Point oysters at a discount, hence the name...  I dunno, like the "fartnose"
story, it seems too much like an after-the-fact consumer-friendly explanation
to me.  (I still think it shares a common origin with the name of the gay bar
("The Blue Oyster") in _Police Academy_, but I'd like that to be true mostly
because it would piss off so many redneck BOC fans. :-)

There is a book called "Rock Band Names" or something like that, that trots
out both these stories as gospel - they interview Lemmy for the HW name (as
well as Motorhead), and the best part is where Lemmy says (I quote from
memory), "before that they were called Hawkwind Zoo, which is before I joined,
but the Zoo part certainly fucking fit".

- Andy